Please beware of distraction burglaries over the Christmas and New Year period.
Residents are being warned that distraction burglars have been reported in neighbouring boroughs and to remain vigilant over the Christmas and New Year period.
Officers from the Met Police’s Hammersmith HQ warn that rogues are using deceptive tricks – such as pretending to be from a utility company, the council or the police – to gain entrance to a property and then steal valuables or cash.
No recent offences have been reported in the borough – but the police are urging residents to be vigilant.
The police advise:
- Use your door viewer, or look through your front window to see who is there.
- When anyone claiming to be from a service company comes to the door, always ask for their ID and call the customer services department to confirm it. Any genuine caller will not mind waiting.
- Genuine trades people should carry photo ID. Keep the door closed while you check it thoroughly, and call their head office if you feel unsure.
- Be wary of anyone who claims they are in a hurry and needs to get into your home quickly.
- Never let anyone take you to the bank to withdraw money.
- If you feel at all unsure, schedule a time for the caller to come back again when a friend or relative can be with you.
We hope you have a happy and safe Christmas.