Friday November 12, 2010
Residents should take care to lock their windows and doors and not leave valuables on show.
This is the advice from Police who are boosting local efforts to reduce burglaries in the run up to Christmas.
Traditionally, there are two times of the year when burglaries peak in the borough. A high proportion occur in the summer – with residents more likely to keep windows and doors open due to the warm weather. And many take place at Christmas when people tend to leave gifts on show.
PC Adrian Simmons, Crime Prevention Officer at Hammersmith Police Station, says: “Offenders exploit security weaknesses, particularly insecure windows and I cannot over emphasise the importance of using proper locks at all times.”
Taking the following precautions can help minimise your chances of being burgled:
- Close and secure accessible windows in unoccupied rooms
- Never leave valuable goods on-show
- Secure doors and accessible windows when you are going out, even if it’s only for a short time
- Lock away any tools or ladders in your garden that a burglar might be able to use to force entry to your property
- After Christmas, don’t advertise to burglars your new stuff by leaving packaging from expensive presents around your outside bin
- Register any new electrical goods, or bikes, on the nationwide property register www.immobilise.com. You can register any item that has a unique serial number.
When you are going away on holiday:
- Try to make your property look occupied by using a timer to turn your lights or a radio on and off
- Cancel any regular deliveries
- Arrange for a friend or neighbour to look in on your property.
H&F Council Crime Summit 2011
The Hammersmith & Fulham (H&F) Council Crime Summit is your chance to meet the local Police and council staff responsible for tackling crime and anti-social behaviour in your area. Now in its fifth year the annual Crime Summit has grown to become one of the largest public consultation events in the borough giving you the chance to make your views count. The next summit will take place at Chelsea Football Club on Saturday 5 March, 2011.
To register your interest in attending the Crime Summit 2011: