Thursday December 19, 2013
I would like to take this opportunity to wish you all a very Merry Christmas on behalf of all the policing teams at Hammersmith and Fulham. Can I also thank you for your work with Neighbourhood Watch throughout this year which has helped to make it one of the safest Boroughs in London. Some facts and figures:
- Over 2,000 fewer victims of crime compared to last year.
- We have halved burglary in the last 3 years.
- Fastest response to emergencies in London.
- Survey results show that we are more visible than any other London Borough.
Sadly, although Christmas is traditionally a time of giving, there are those who only have an interest in taking, particularly by means of burglary and pick pocketing during the Christmas period and shopping rush/sales. I would like to take this opportunity to reassure you that we will continue to have a strong police presence throughout the festive period and use proactive techniques to catch and convict these criminals.
Can I ask that you help my teams by promoting crime prevention amongst friends, families, work colleagues by asking them to undertake the following:
- When they are shopping please remind them to they keep their purses, wallets and mobile phones, safely tucked away and out of reach of opportunist thieves.
- Although burglary remains low across the borough please can people ensure windows and doors are not left open and are double locked. Please consider leaving a light on inside or using a timer switch for when it gets dark. Sash windows are a favourite so fitting a lock will help people to secure their homes. Sadly, presents such as iPads, mobile phones and game consoles continue to be a draw for burglars albeit we are also focussing on those premises that receive stolen goods to disrupt this activity.
I know I ask every year but after Christmas presents have been given out please do not leave empty packaging outside your property as it is a signal to a burglar as to what is inside.
Finally, if you see anything suspicious or need our help during the festive period please call 999 in an emergency or 101 if it is a non-emergency matter. We continue to have the fastest response times in London so will be there to help before you know it.
Have a safe and enjoyable festive period.